Sunday, March 22, 2009

New Growth

I did not blog about loosing hair after a hair appointment at a very well known hair saloon earlier. The case happened when I had wanted only a simple haircut done in one of Charlize Theron earlier styles. The hair stylist which I have pointed out to do my haircut is of a professional level which I have read people raved about his skills. His name is Eddie from Hair Perfect.

I have to admit that Eddie indeed is a skillful hairstylist given the fact that he could finish a haircut within 15-20mins in accordance to your hairstyle requirements. But, he can get pretty upset if he suggest you to do more than what you have intended for, and when you do not agree with his suggestions. This is based from my own experience.

I walked in on a Sunday morning at 11am for a simple haircut just a week before the CNY festive season. And Eddie was suggesting me to do a colour on top of my haircut, as he insisted that with my jet-black hair, and the style that I had opted for - the lengths and shape will not stand out without some hair colour *sulking*. I told him politely that I do not want to colour my hair and that my hair only needs a haircut and nothing else. And just I've said that, he said this to me in cantonese "If you want me to cut your hair, then you have to let me do as I have suggested". Boy! What a statement which did not catch me at that time as my mood was pretty patient! I did not walk out, but instead succumbed to his threat *hitting my head hard*. I am a real dumbo!

He charged me for a haircut, a hair-colour job, and a combo hair treatment - all for RM408.00!!! And me and my then stupidity and patience - paid for that bloody blood-sucking price.

Well, having said that, not only the price paid is not worth while - it was indeed the worse of all move that I had decided for him to colour my hair with what he promised to be one of the best brand of hair colour and hair care products - Keratase. My hair started to take effects after the chinese new year. It started dropping. And it is not a small volume, the volume is high which ends up a handful of fallen hair each time during each hair wash. And it was alarming!

Thank God I was blessed with a headful full of hair. At every occassion since my childhood days, hairstylist has been complaining that my hair is too thick, too much and not easy to colour as it is jet-black in colour, which indicates a healthy crown. I started loosing a large volume of hair, and up to a point where I myself felt that my head is very light and my hair is a lot thinner than what I used to feel. I went berserk... ballistic, and frantically called a friend who is an outlet manager for the L'occitane boutique at Gurney Plaza asking for advise and help. He was with a hair care products supply company before, and he had been trained well on hair textures, characters and hair care before - so, I had my emergency hair guru which I practically ran to for help instantaneously.

He explained that each strand of hair is protected by a layer which seals the strands natural colour and protects it from UV lights and other harmful atmosphere. And at each hair colouring process, hair saloon will use the white lotion a.k.a. developing lotion to "open" up this layer of protection, which thereafter will not be "closed" - just to inject the colour that we want into the body of the hair. Being an Asian, it is natural that our hair's content has the natural tones of red, and it will certainly be a lot easier for saloons to inject both brown and red tones to our Asian hair compared to other ethnic groups.

What made my hair drop is that the colour-sealing process which most hair saloon proudly advertise is "hair treatment" that they claim to seal your hair colour and to clean out the remaining chemical. All those that they say are all lies!

The agent that is being used on your hair is really a chemical agent to seals up the hair colour BUT it will harm your hair. What agent is it? It is silicone. What will the silicone do to your hair? It covers your hair with a layer of silicone, so that you will feel that your hair is smooth and silky and soft to the touch after the treatment. But the silicone also acts as a layer of plastic that bars your hair from breathing and repairing. And what's worse? It weighs down on your already weak hair after the hair colour process and thus, causing the hair follicles to give way and the hair will start dropping.

When I was briefed of all this information, I made a very clear decision for myself. Hair colouring is totally a non-value-add to my hair health, and I will not divulge myself into another phase of stupidity to colour my hair again. And he guided me on what products to use to help me with my hair growth, what to strengthen my hair, and even shared a little secret on how he make some homemade hair serum for scalp and hair care with me.

Now, thanks to Zowie, I crowning glory is starting to grow lots of new hair again.

No comments: