Saturday, February 21, 2009

Our 2009 Valentine's Dinner

I did not blog about the valentine's dinner I had with Nick on last Sunday earlier as I can't seem to find anytime to do it then. Frankly, after being with Nick for over a decade, we actually never had any out-of-home valentine's dinner - minus out our dating days okay... Reason for it is mainly because we both understand that love is where the heart is. So, flowers, chocolates, lavish dinners are not a necessity for us. Knowing darn well that most business will take this opportunity to raise their prices to cut-throat tags and love does not need all these to sustain or to fuel it further.

All our past valentine's celebration had been done cosily at home. And most of the time, I will be the one who prepare our own full-course candlelight dinner. But, our dinners will definitely include our kids and our maid - so, its not really a two-person kind of celebration. But hey, our kids and our maid are part of our family and our loved ones too. Speaking of our maid, she has been with us since Shawn was born, that means 9 years with us. That's why it is more like a family and loved ones proper sit-down dinner than a 2-person lovey-dovey valentine's dinner.

So back to my story..., earlier in January when the church I am frequenting organised an event for married couples called "A Moment Together", I pounced on it. Not that I had been longing for a quiet moment together with Nick, it is because the venue for the event is at the place where we both met - Hotel Waterfall. The place is not some kind of posh hotel or restaurant, it is more like a cosy little restaurant located in a motel, as the hotel is an old hotel from the 70's or 80's days. Having a dinner for 2 at a place where we got to know each other would be a great memory. And all the more when we have never revisited that place ever since we met, it would definitely be a memorable one.

At the dinner, since it was a church event, we were not alone as we do have plenty of other couple friends around too. Every couple is seated at a table for 2 persons, and the table is decorated with a candle pot sitting in a wine glass, rose petals strewn on the table, a cut-out butterfly marking out table number, and a box of ferrero rocher in a heart-shaped container. And we got a very nice table located at the corner of the room - pretty cosy.

The restaurant had been blocked-out by our church event, and the room is filled with hot air balloons, soft music and is dimly lit for that cosy and romantic atmosphere. Every couple dressed up for the event in their best suits and evening gowns. We have gentlemen donning their tuxedos and coats, and ladies wearing their best evenings gowns. *Ahem... forgive Nick and myself for not dressing up, as I had been busy the entire day in rushing my assignment till I completely forgot about the dress-code for the event - silly me*. I still remember Nick asked me on what attire should he put on for the dinner, and my reply was "Ah... any outfit is possible, just put on a collared t-shirt will do, or anything that you feel comfortable in". Thank God that Nick did not put on his usual 3/4 pants that he feels most comfy in :p

As I've mentioned, the event was a church event - so, it was filled with games, best-dressed man & lady of the night, sharing session and dance ;). Couples were asked to answer quizes and questions about their partners *without discussion* and to find out on how well they know each other. The dinner had been a great event for both the church as well as for Nick and myself. We had a great time reminiscing our earlier days together.

Here is Nick deep in thought with the questionaire... *apologise for the picture quality as it was taken from my mobile, and the room is dimly lit*

And here is a picture of myself captured by Nick on his mobile camera... *I know, I know... I look washed-down... I'm blaming it on my assignment - lol*

1 comment:

Unknown said...

nice memory you have!
and you didnt look bad at all after long hours of working!!
still looking great!