Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Switch UP!

I shared about my journey to cloth diapering in Mia Bambina's blog, and was thinking I could do the same here by posting and sharing with all here in my blog.

".. why you do need another cloth diapers? "
Well, I am still in the stage of CD collecting as both my 2 younger boys (James is 3 years and Lucas is 3.5 months) are now fully on CDs. Till present, my diaper stash collection is still less than 20pieces. Having an extra CD, and all the more when it is one of my OS favorites, for sure I’ll be leaping with joy to participate in this contest.

".. and what made you convert to cloths? "
When I had Shawn (my first born), we really had to spend a lot of money purchasing disposables as he does poo and pee a lot. On an average scale, he will be using at least 6 diapers in a day and another 2 at night. That would be a minimum of 8 disposable diapers if not more. Moreover, over long wearing period, Shawn started developing some serious diaper rash. It was then, I decided to change to the conventional method of cloth diapering. And with the scale of Shawn being a heavy wetter, I needed 4 dozens of cloth diapers in order to meet with the needs.

When James came along in late 2005, I felt I had it through and through with the conventional cloth diapering as it was really a hassle as we are staying in an apartment where space was always a constraint for effective sun drying. That’s when we actually started using disposables again. And I have to agree with Sandra – it was pinching into our pockets at the rate of James’s usage too.

As the effects of global warming are getting more alarming these days, and with the birth of Lucas, I felt I needed to find a solution to help with the environment and at the same time, I could save some extra cash for the global economic downturn. That’s when the internet has been my main source of information desk. I read a lot about the modern and chic method of cloth diapering and the fact that there were many positive feedbacks about pursuing on an exciting journey of cloth diapering, and that’s when I made the switch for good. And I certainly have no regrets over my decision as I DO save the environment and I AM saving my pockets in a long run as well.

"extras..."
Personally, I felt the new line of CDing is a great experience that all mommys and daddys should venture on. It has been the greatest invention for our beloved children, and what's more to shower them with great health and skincare. And I have to admit that since using CD for Lucas, I had actually eliminate the need to use diaper rash cream. Lucas's bums has been so soft and smooth ever since the switch. And a tip here, I do not even need to use those disposable wipes after each long-wearing of at least 12 hours (with 1 hemp insert & 1 microfibre insert) as my baby's skin is still dry, unlike the effects from each disposable diaper where Lucas's skin will be damp and reddish from the soak. Isn't this a great bargain that we should trade away disposables for? Think about it..... *grinning*


some pictures to share with all who do not know what the revolution of cloth diapers has evolved and developed into :-



Happy Heiny's one-size pocket diaper (don't you think the prints are cute?)




Cute baby girl wearing a Drybees fitted cloth diaper

Drybees fitted back-view


How it works...


So, aren't they facisnating? No more the old-fashioned style of pins and folding required. Of course, there are still unbleached prefolds which will perform better than the old-fashion-bleached prefolds as they absorbed more and will cost cheaper than these fitted/one-sized pocket/all-in-one diapers. But hey, that's our share and responsibility in providing the best for our babies and the environment that we are trying to save so that our children can enjoy them too compared to the little investment that we make.

2 comments:

Bonnie said...

I'm glad to be part of CD community. Hopping more and more parents will know more about cloth diapers. =)

Eirin said...

yes Bonnie... I was just sharing to my expecting cousing (3 pregnancy) and another friend over lunch about the goodness of cloth diapers.