Saturday, January 24, 2009

Piddle, paddles of life... as we move towards Chinese New Year

Its been almost a week since my last post, and life has been on the fast lane for the past week for me. Other than the upcoming CNY preparations that are way behind schedule *mind me... I still have not gone for any of my CNY goodies festive shopping*, work has been pretty consuming over the recent week both for Nick and also for myself.

On my family, for Shawn is a normal school-going week. But something surprises me is that, he requested for his 1st bento from my maid! *psst... probably I was sharing a lot on Sandra's bento boxes for Indy with him lately*. And he specifically picked on the food that he wants to be seen packed into the bento box for him i.e. fried chicken drummets and sausages. But as he is currently recovering from a bad cough, I had promised him that he will get his choice of bento box when he has recovered.

On James, by right to have started his nursery days by now since he is at age 4 this year. But over some silly circumstances, and also that he has indicated that he did not want to start schooling yet, we are giving him another half year's time as allowance before he needs to be enrolled. Till then, he is still the temper-prone boy at home as usual.

As for our adorable Lucas, he has been a little ill this week as the viruses from his two elder brothers had caught him - flu and cough. Poor baby... earlier he was sneezing pretty frequently and experienced several nose blocks during nights. And now, he is coughing - mostly at night. Hey, speaking of coughing at night - Nick and I read an article circulated through emails that to relief children from night coughs, Vicks Vapor Rub can do the trick. By applying some generous amount on the bottom of both feet and then cover it with socks, within 5 minutes the child/baby can be relieved from the night coughs. And guess what? That trick really did wonders! Both for Shawn and also on Lucas.

Well, Lucas is still on the road to recovery, and is doing pretty fine with it. Nick and myself are not the type of people that brings our kids to the doctors at the first call/signs of illness. We prefer to allow the child's antibodies to do the first phase of defense rather than washing down both good and bad cells with antibiotics without giving the internal systems a chance to fight on its own. Mild fever is pretty norm when it comes to this phase as it is indicating the body is fighting with the virus internally. So, feeding them with ample water, plenty of rest and healthier blend of food will help naturally. But should the fever goes beyond 38.5 degrees celcius, medical attention is required.

That's for the past week updates on my life, my experiences and my family. I would also like to take this opportunity to wish all our friends, relatives and families who celebrates chinese new year, a HAPPY CHINESE NEW YEAR! May the "Niu" year ahead be filled with great health, good wealth and prosperity in abundance for all.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

gong xi fa cai to you and your family!
how is the preparation so far?
me here very quiet :)
celebrate our own way :D

hey did the vicks trick really work?
I got that email last time but I never really try it .Some times Indy can cough all night too.
will keep that in mind then.Thanks!

Eirin said...

thanks for the wishes Sandra.
preparation so-so only, as we planned to do it quietly too.

yup! the vicks trick really worked. should try that on your girls when needed.

Bonnie said...

Happy Moo year to you Mabel.. Hope you're done with CNY preparations.. Gong Xi Fa Cai to you and family.. :)

Eirin said...

hey Bonnie... happy chinese new year to you & your loved ones too!

shopping... nah... didn't do any CNY groceries shopping for the last 2 weekends. but new clothings was done since last year when everyone was buying for hari raya, i have done shopping for my entire family back then.

kong hei fatt choy... (i noticed you are a cantonese too)