Friday, January 30, 2009

My 10 years of Marriage


Sometimes I am just amazed at how fast time really flies. To be exact, Nick and I have been married for 10 years and 4 months as of January 2009. We did not really celebrated our 10th anniversary in any special way as I was still in my confinement after delivering Lucas. I actually sneaked out and we had a quick lunch at TGI Friday's at Queensbay Mall to mark our 10th anniversary last year. Nick also got me a nice little diamond ring that has a GIA certificate too *grinning dizzily*.

Many of our friends actually never expected for both Nick and myself to tie the knot at almost lightning speed 10 years back. I was the extrovert, ever-so-flamboyant and known as an ex-party animal type of person, whereas Nick was the introvert, shy and quiet where he spent most of his time at home with his schedules filled with only boring activities such as reading comics, watching the norm programs that's aired on national TV and clocking in to bed at 10pm *lol... I can't imagine I had such a goody-two-shoes as my hubby*. We were more like what Paula Abdul's number of "Opposites Attract" rather than the more commonly found couples that shared lots of common interests together.

We both met at a casual friends' hang-out where never even at the back of my mind could imagine I would end up going out with such a boring and not-so-good-looking chap. Can you imagine I was so mean... at a time I even blatantly told Nick that if I was given the score card to rate his looks, I would have rated him "0" => zero. And poor Nick was asking me softly in return "Then, why did you choose to go out with me still?" I told him that it was his inner beauty that attracted me to know more about him and it was also that part of his personality bowled me over. And you know what happened after I answered his question? He melted like butter.... wuahahhaahahaaaa....

Well, what basically was the inner beauty of Nick? Aside from being quiet, shy and extremely low in self-confidence when it comes to courting girls. Nick does not gamble, womanize, smokes nor drinks. He is the pure goody-two-shoes kind of guy. Believe it or not, he does house chores such as washes the dishes, cleans the toilets, helps me with the laundry - yup, including folding clothes, does gardening and bathe the kids. He is also a darn good handyman - my mom simply adores him whenever she needs a small fix on leaking water taps and pipes, electrical points and even to the extend of repairing some electrical items.

So, you guessed all those traits bowled me over? Nah.... not so much of those. I had 3 previous relationships before I start-on with Nick. They were none close to the beautiful traits Nick had. Most of them were practically fanatic about career, sports or cars, and the feelings and thoughts of a woman will normally be the last item on their list to consider thinking about. Nick allows me to speak my mind, values my opinions and shares part of the decision making process. He is a family-oriented type of person where sports, cars and other personal interests will come in least important when it comes to prioritizing his loved ones. So, now you know what keeps me to him.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow happy 10th anniversary.
We will hit the 10th this year in Sept.
Congrats for you and your dh!
you are such a lovely couple, I m sure you are more than a lovely couple in real life ! :)
Time indeed passed very fast!

Eirin said...

Thanks for your wishes Sandra. Yea, time really does flies and before we knew it, its 10 years already.

We do share the same month for our wedding anniversary it seems. Ours is on the 25th, how about yours?

Unknown said...

ours is 11th Sept.1999.
We could do it on the 9.9.1999 but we didn't
and on our second anniversary , the date became a worldwide biggest tragedy date in history.
9.11.

Eirin said...

gosh... that's a huge coincidence. but i'm sure aside from that disaster, your dh and you have lots of sweet and loving memories to remember the day with.

Bonnie said...

Happy 10th anniversary! 10 years is not a long period and it's not a hort period too..so I wish you and hubby have many more 10 years to come! :)

Btw, I got a tag for you :
http://wirahwanniewatari.blogspot.com/2009/02/how-do-i-love-my-husband-tag.html

Eirin said...

Thanks Bonnie for the wishes. Yea, agree 10 years isn't too long nor too short a time but we're glad we've been thru those 10 years together. Yup, definitely there will be many more 10 years to come - claiming your wishes ;)

Will take up the tag & blog on it later when I'm not that lazy to start up my personal laptop :p - but it'll be by this weekend.